Vegan Brazilian Black Bean Stew (Feijoada)
- Preparation: 10min.
- Cooking: 80min.
- Ready in: 90min.
For: 8 servings
- 1 pound dried black beans, or 4-14 ounce cans, drained
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 cup bell pepper, (red or green, I used red)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or water (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Energy: 206kcal/861kJ.
- Fat: 3g.
- Protein: 12g.
- Carbohydrate: 35g.
- If you are using dried beans, sort beans to remove debris. Rinse beans and soak overnight in cold water at least 3 inches above. If using canned beans go to number 4 of recipe instructions.
- The following day, drain and rinse beans. Place beans in a large pot with cold water.
- Bring to boil on medium-high, cover and reduce heat to simmer until beans are tender, about one hour. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat, add onion and saute until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, bell pepper, cumin, oregano, and bay leaves. and cook for another minute.
- Stir in beans (along with remaining liquid if using cooked beans). If using canned beans add water or vegetable broth
- Bring to boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally for flavors to blend. Using the back of a ladle mash some of the beans to help to make a creamy thick sauce. Add extra liquid if needed.
- Stir in cilantro, cayenne pepper and salt to season.
Whole-Wheat Pie Crust Dough
Whole-wheat pastry flour is more finely milled than regular whole-wheat flour, making it ideal for pie crusts and other delicate baked goods.
Matcha Custard Pie
Got a matcha latte lover in your crowd? She’ll be extra thankful for this striking pie, and we bet everyone will enjoy the better-for-you toppings: pomegranate arils for pop and antioxidants, and Greek yogurt for tanginess and probiotics. This is one dessert that’s easier to put together than it looks. The custard cooks on the stove, and the pie can chill in the fridge for up to three days, making it the perfect recipe to cross off your holiday to-do list early.