Treat Your Laryngitis at Home With These Simple Methods
Have you ever woken up and realized that your voice sounds more like a whisper than a human talking? Regardless of the reason, you probably experience laryngitis. This is a very common throat issue but let’s discuss what can cause this condition?
Reasons for Laryngitis
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the vocal cords which can be a result of different reasons.
Some of the most common reasons for laryngitis include:
- Bacterial infections
- Viral infections
- Upper respiratory infections including the common cold
- Strained vocal cords due to singing, speaking or yelling for long period of time
- Exposure to irritants
If you experience laryngitis more frequently or it lasts for more than three weeks, it can be considered chronic. It can even cause nodules on the vocal cords.
Chronic laryngitis can be caused by:
- Frequent exposure to irritants such as allergens, smoke or chemical fumes.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease or chronic acid reflux
- Excessive consumption of alcohol or smoking
- Chronic sinusitis
- Regular overuse of the voice
Symptoms of Laryngitis
Symptoms depend on the causes of laryngitis. Some of the most common symptoms include:
- Loss of voice or croaky voice
- Pain in the throat or when swallowing
- Rawness or tickling sensation in the throat
- A dry cough or dry throat
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Nasal congestion
- Frequent need to clear the throat
Prevention of Laryngitis
- Avoid being exposed to secondhand smoke because it can dry and irritate your vocal cords.
- Drink plenty of fluids in order to hydrate your larynx.
- Reduce your intake of caffeine and alcohol since they lead to dehydration.
- Avoid the consumption of spicy foods since it can cause acid reflux, heartburn or GERD.
- Consume whole grains, vegetables, fruits in order to keep the mucus membrane healthy.
- Keep your hands clean in order to avoid infections. Avoid any contact with people who suffer from some respiratory tract infections or a cold.
- Do not clear your throat very often since it increases the mucus secretion and can lead to irritation of the vocal cords.
Homemade Treatments of Laryngitis
In most of the cases, laryngitis lasts only a few days, but sometimes it can last about two weeks. Here are some simple but powerful natural remedies that can reduce the discomfort and improve the healing process.
So, treat your laryngitis with some of these home remedies:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar and Cayenne Pepper
Apple cider vinegar is a proven method for treating different ailments, especially laryngitis. It is rich in potent antibacterial and acidic properties which can treat the infection with the very first dose.
If you add some cayenne pepper, you can make this combination even more potent. It will block the pain signals from reaching the brain and will alleviate the pain.
You need the following ingredients:
- 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. of honey
- ½ cup of water
- First, mix the apple cider vinegar and water and then add the cayenne pepper and honey.
- Blend the ingredients well.
- To reduce the symptoms of laryngitis, drink this mixture twice a day.
- This solution will relieve the itching, irritation and it will break down the accumulation of mucus.
You can also prepare some gargle solution. Just dilute equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and warm water. Gargle with this solution 4-5 times a day until you get relief.
2. Salt Water
Gargling with salt water is one of the easiest and most effective natural treatment for throat issues. It’s because saline water reduces the bacteria and soothes the inflamed vocal cords and throat.
- Dilute a ½ teaspoon of table salt in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir the solution well so that the salt dissolves completely.
- Bear in mind that too much salt can irritate your throat and make the condition even worse.
- Make sure you gargle with this solution as much as possible before you spit it out.
- Practice this method 3-4 times a day in order to relieve the irritation and itching sensation.
- For a complete relief, you may need to practice this method for up to one week.
3. Lemon and Honey
Lemon and honey is another potent natural remedy against laryngitis. The lemon acid kills the bacteria in the throat and stimulates the production of saliva in the mouth thus hydrating the throat. In addition, honey soothes the throat.
You need the following ingredients:
- 1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. of honey
- 1 cup of warm water
- First mix the fresh lemon juice and warm water.
- Then add the honey.
- Mix well all of the ingredients and drink up the solution.
- Drink this solution three times a day for one week.
- This combination will provide an instant voice recovery, and after one week, the swelling will be gone.
To alleviate the symptoms of laryngitis, gargle with Listerine. Listerine is rich in essential oils which eliminate bacteria and viruses from your throat.
- In one cup of lukewarm water, add two tablespoons of Listerine.
- Try gargling with this solution two times a day for 1-2 weeks.
- This solution will relieve the symptoms of laryngitis.
- Bear in mind that dry air can make laryngitis even worse. So, inhale steam, use some humidifier or take a hot shower in order to keep your throat moist.
- You can keep the larynx moist by chewing gum or using some lozenges.
- Make sure you avoid singing or talking too loudly. Also, whispering can strain your vocal cords more than normal speech. So, rest your vocal cords on a regular basis.
- A regular consumption of turmeric milk, at least twice a day, will reduce inflammation. All you have to do is mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk.
- You can also reduce inflammation by drinking 2-3 cups of green tea.
- Chew on some small piece of garlic or ginger. Both of them are high in antimicrobial qualities that can eliminate the infection.
- Drinking marshmallow root tea or eating marshmallows can reduce the soreness.
- Make sure you breathe through your nose as much as you can. Breathing through your mouth not only exposes your larynx to cold air but it upset the vocal cords.
13 Things That Will Happen After Eating Ginger Daily
If you haven’t eaten ginger so far, it is time to start now since itRead More
Consume Quinoa to Maintain Healthy Blood Pressure, Promote Heart Health and Weight Loss!
One of the most popular vegetable seeds is definitely quinoa. Quinoa is very healthy asRead More