by Durga Chew-Bose 1. I learned last summer that if you place a banana and an unripe avocado inside a paper bag, the avocado would—as if spooned to sleep by the crescent-laid banana—ripen overnight. By morning, that pallid shade of green would turn near-neon and velvety, and I, having done nothing but pair the two fruits, would experience a false sense of accomplishment similar to returning a library book or listening to a voicemail. There is, it’s worth noting, a restorative innocence to waking up and discovering that something hasRead More
by Anna Fitzpatrick NPR is currently streaming No Cities To Love, the eighth album from Sleater-Kinney. In related Carrie Brownstein news, did anybody else spend their New Year’s marathoning Transparent and bawling their eyes out? In related Transparent news, did anybody else watch the Golden Globes last night? In related Golden Globes news, should I watch Boyhood? I’m probably never going to watch Boyhood. I’m sure it’s delightful though. 1 Comments
Whether you’ve overindulged for the holidays, or just want to kick-start the New Year, January is an ideal time to reevaluate your fitness goals. Sure, you can join the hordes, fresh from their New Year’s resolutions, fighting for a treadmill at the gym, or you can escape to a luxury retreat for a few days of challenging workouts, along with delicious food and beautiful scenery. While places such as St. Lucia’s The BodyHoliday and Arizona’s Miraval are some of the best-known names in fitness resorts, more hotels are partnering with celebrity trainers for specialty fitness-themed weeks. So whether you’re already a fitness fanatic and want to take your workout to the next level, or simply want to start a new, healthier lifestyle, pack your sneakers and head to one of these 10 upscale boot camp-style vacations to break a sweat in 2015.
Christina Valhouli writes about travel, beauty, and lifestyle trends. Her work has appeared in The New York Times, the New York Post, and Departures.com. Follow her on Twitter: @cvalhouli.
If you haven’t already firmed up your plans for Christmas or New Year’s Day, consider skiing or riding at the resort closest to you. Both days are ideal for hitting the slopes because the crowds are guaranteed to be smaller than other days this time of year, meaning shorter lines for lifts, less congestion on trails, and groomed runs that last longer. For anyone who loves skiing or snowboarding but hates the crowds, these two days are perfect—and much cheaper than usual. Read on to find irresistible resort deals for December 25 and January 1.
The online lift-ticket marketplace Liftopia is offering up to 72% off single-day lift tickets purchased for Christmas or New Year’s Day. The site using dynamic pricing, so the sooner you buy, the better the discount. Here are some examples of discounts currently available on theie site:
• Caberfae Peaks, MI: one-day lift tickets starting at $9.99 (72% off)
• Bolton Valley, VT: one-day lift tickets starting at $19.99 (59% off)
• Ragged Mountain, NH: one-day lift tickets starting at $34.99 (56% off)
• Anthony Lakes, OR: one-day lift tickets starting at $17.99 (49% off)
• Snowbasin, UT: one-day lift tickets starting at $48.99 (45% off)
• Smuggler’s Notch, VT: one-day lift tickets starting at $39.99 (44% off)
• Arapahoe Basin, CO: one-day lift tickets starting at $50.99 (43% off)
• Jay Peak, VT: one-day lift tickets starting at $41.99 (42% off)
• Mt.Abram, ME: one-day lift tickets starting at $14.99 (40% off)
• Hoodoo, OR: one-day lift tickets starting at $28.99 (40% off)
• Whiteface, NY: one-day lift tickets starting at $57.99 (35% off)
• Snowshoe, WV: two-day lift tickets starting at $114.47 (35% of)
• Homewood, CA: one-day lift tickets starting at $57.99 (34% off)
• Mt. Hood, OR: one-day lift tickets starting at $49.99 (32% off)
• Crystal Mountain, MI: one-day lift tickets starting at $45.99 (31% off)
Lessons & Equipment
In New Hampshire, Cranmore Mountain Resort is offering first-time skiers (ages 13 and older) the chance to learn the slopes and get their first pair of skis. For $299, the GET Skis Package includes three beginner lessons plus rental equipment, instruction, and lift tickets. Upon completing the third lesson, participants will receive a new pair of Rossignol Experience 74 skis with binding, as well as a discount on Rossignol boots. Quantities are limited, but the package is still available for now.
In Vermont, Killington is offering an even better deal with its Discovery 4-Day Learn to Programs. For $299, first-timers (ages 18 and up only) will receive four two-hour lessons plus four days of rental equipment and lift tickets. After the fourth lesson, participants will receive a new pair of Elan skis and bindings. (A similar program for snowboarding that included a free Burton snowboard has sold out for the season.)